Sunday, April 3, 2011

Junk in the basement.

I have always regarded the spring as a time to clean...to clean out the clutter that accumulates in our lives, our possessions, in preparation for a new season. A season that ushers in longer and warmer days, blooming dogwoods and bright flowers. We clean to open new space and it feels good, accomplished. Never before have I considered that this could also be fruitful for the soul. I walk around with clutter in my heart and what better time to begin cleaning that as well?

Lent opens the opportunity for me to reflect on myself for forty days. Do I think that I can clear away all of my junk in that short amount of time? No. But it does give me the chance to survey my inner landscape and find those things which are in disrepair and to begin working on them one day at a time. I often spend so much time focusing on my junk that I can't focus on the present because I use all of my energy trying to look back and reconfigure my past. I can't fix the things that I have broken, all I can do is learn from them and try to be a better person. I believe that there is purpose in all things. Events happen so we can become stronger and people in our lives happen so they can remind us of our strength. They show us our good when we are focusing on our junk. And with His help we are given the hope and the opportunity of coming back to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment